Sunday 28 November 2010

65 Days of Static, Kong at the Oxford Academy.

It was an instrumental sort of night in Oxford last week but not the sort of instrumental music you can sit down and relax to. No this is the sort of instrumental music that makes you want to punch people in the throat one minute and weep with lonely sorrow the next. This is the sort of music 65 Days of Static and Kong make.

Kong were the first band I saw of the night and I must admit I had never heard them before so I wasn't really sure what to make of them. At first glance they look utterly ridiculous dressed all in red wearing those super freaky see through clown masks, this band clearly like their theatrics. Kong sounded like 65 days younger angrier sibling following the same instrumental route but favoured disjointed, messy riffs compared to the more refined 65 days approach.

In difference to 65 Days Kong had included vocals which were at some points better suited to a punk metal gig which lead to a few confused and slightly scared looks from some of the crowd, clearly not expecting such a viscous noise. Kong is a particularly apt name for this band and their powerful, primal and sometimes scary noise. Plus they are clearly fucking insane.

With song names like Blood of a Dove and Whet Your Knives you know Kong are out to intimidate, frighten and bludgeon your ear drums into submission. If you are a fan of 65 Days slightly harder material I strongly recommend looking this band up.

This is Kongs video for Leather Penny, probably says more than I ever could.



And so with Kongs visceral noise still bouncing around my skull 65 Days of Static took to the stage. In my opinion this band is a musical equivalent of an excellent shag. They tease the listener with tantalising instrumental opening that slowly become more and more powerful before exploding into a glorious orgy of crashing guitars, pounding drumbeats and harmonious synths.

They played through a collection of new and old songs and my two personal favourites Retreat! Retreat! and the near on perfect Radio Protector. If you have never heard this band before they are fully instrumental and let their musical talent do all the talking for them. This is good honest instrumental rock with a hefty dose of emotion thrown into the mix. They are a joy to watch live and my only regret is that I'm yet to see them at a festival because I imagine watching them teamed with a spectacular light show would probably reduce me to a weeping mess. Here's Radio Protector and I honestly think no one can dislike this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment